Please note that Kedah courts will be closed. The following notice is from the Bar Council dated 11 September 2020.
To Members of the Malaysian Bar and pupils in chambers,
Court-Related Matters During the Administrative Enhanced Movement Control Order (“EMCO”) in Alor Setar, Kedah
We draw Members’ attention to the announcement by the Senior Minister (Security Cluster) and Defence Minister, YB Dato’ Sri Ismail Sabri Yaakob, yesterday, 10 Sept 2020, on the enforcement of the Administrative Enhanced Movement Control Order (“EMCO”) in the
Kota Setar district in Kedah, beginning from today, 11 Sept 2020 until 25 Sept 2020 (Friday).
As the enforcement of EMCO will affect certain Court-related matters, please take note of the following important points.
(1) Closure of Mahkamah Alor Setar
Mahkamah Alor Setar is closed from 10 to 25 Sept 2020 in line with the EMCO.
(2) E-Review, Filing and Processing of Documents
Please note that civil cases by e-review, filing of documents for civil cases by e-filing, and the processing of documents of civil cases, will still proceed as usual.
(3) Case Mentions / Trials / Part-Heard Trials for Civil and Criminal Cases
Case mentions, trials, and part-heard trials for both civil and criminal cases that were scheduled during the EMCO period, will be postponed to another date, as per the “Notis Penjadualan Semula Kes-Kes Sambung Bicara / Bicara / Sebutan Mahkamah Sesyen dan Majistret (Sivil dan Jenayah)”, which can be viewed here (see page 3).
Only newly-registered cases for mentions (criminal) and remand application will be heard at the Mahkamah Alor Setar during the EMCO period.
Please also take note of the following points:
- All cases (except e-review cases) that have been scheduled to be heard before a Judge or Judicial Commissioner at Mahkamah Tinggi 1, 2, 3 and 4 of the Alor Setar High Court (Mahkamah Tinggi Alor Setar), will be postponed to another date, which the Court will inform by notice.
- All cases (except e-review cases or by email) that have been scheduled to be heard before a Deputy Registrar or Senior Registrar of the Alor Setar High Court, will be postponed to another date, which the Court will inform by notice.
Members are urged to check for the new dates through their CMS system-registered email address. Please click here to view this notice (see page 4).
(4) Duty Roster of Mahkamah Alor Setar Officials and Staff
Please click here to view the duty roster of the Mahkamah Alor Setar officials and staff for ongoing matters at Mahkamah Alor Setar (see pages 5 to 10).
We hope that the information provided here is of assistance to Members. We sympathise with our Members who are facing a difficult time under the EMCO, and hope that the situation will soon pass.